4D and NeWS-emacs

Scott R. Presnell srp at babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Fri Sep 15 08:27:04 AEST 1989

Hi all,
	I'm having a heck of a time getting emacs to run with the NeWS
patches on the 4D/20G (Personal Iris).  Note: these are the same patches
that work great under the Sun version of NeWS.

	I'm can apply the patches and compile an emacs which uses the NeWS
software (from columbia.edu).  That emacs binary is functional in the sense
that it wil execute and run and I can edit files for a while.  However...
	There are two main problems.  One is that the cursor does not seem
to be tracking the characters on the screen correctly: as though the emacs
cursor does not move the correct distance on the screen.  This does not
inhibit file editing, but sometimes I can't tell exactly which character
I'm over.  A ctrl-L will clean up the garbage that is generated from
editing the characters, but the cursor is always mispositioned - the
farther from the left margin the worse it gets.
	The bigger problem is that what eventually happens is the emacs
process and the NeWS server "miscommunicate" and  the emacs process reports:
"emacs: received invalid message from NeWS server." in an infinite loop.
Usually this happens when I cause a repaint of the screen due to moving a
window.

	I can see where and why this is going on in the emacs code, but I'm
at a loss as to how attack fixing it...

	Has anyone had any experience with this situation?  Anyone
sucessfully using NeWS-emacs on a 4D/20?

	Thanks for your help.

	Scott