meta key for X11

Scott Henry scotth at corp.sgi.com
Tue Sep 19 18:05:19 AEST 1989

In article <11836 at polya.Stanford.EDU> ramani at charity.Stanford.EDU (Ramani Pichumani) writes:

r> Has any gotten the meta key to work with X11 on a 4D machine.
r> Apparently, the keyboard translation for NeWS windows doesn't apply to
r> an X11 window so we are without a meta key when we run xemacs or tcsh.
r> If I run xemacs remotely on my Sun, the xemacs on the Iris recognizes
r> the 200 bit correctly so I suspect the problem is in the keyboard
r> translation.  Whatever the cause, the meta is never recognized on the
r> Iris keyboard.

I just figured this out myself a couple of days ago: The patch to UI.ps
that maps the Alt-keys to be Meta-keys under NeWS/4Sight BREAKS (under
3.2, anyway) the X-server's mapping of the Alt-keys to be Meta-keys. So,
to have working Meta-keys under X is and XOR with working Meta-keys under
4Sight/NeWS at this time. Since you should have put the patched copy of
/usr/NeWS/lib/NeWS/UI.ps into ~/NeWS/UI.ps (you don't really want to step
on your original source, now, do you?), just rename ~/NeWS/UI.ps to
something else when you would rather use the X-Meta-keys, and rename it
back to ~/NeWS/UI.ps when you want to use the 4Sight/NeWS-Meta-keys. I
know it's a pain (since you have to logout and login again to make the
change happen), but until we can get WPD to fix this is the best
workaround I know of at the moment.  Since I'm in I/S, not engineering, I
don't have any more control over this stuff than you do (maybe less, as
I'm not a paying customer).

r> Ramani Pichumani                              Tel: (415) 723-2902 or 723-2437
r> Department of Computer Science                            Fax: (415) 725-7411
r> Margaret Jacks Hall, Room 308             email: ramani at patience.stanford.edu
r> Stanford, CA 94305 USA                     uunet!patience.stanford.edu!ramani

Disclaimer: even though I work at SGI, I'm just another user. I just
happen to get the stuff sooner...
--
    Scott Henry <scotth at corp.sgi.com>
    Information Services, Silicon Graphics, Inc