What's and "Extent File System"?

Jim Barton jmb at patton.sgi.com
Tue Sep 26 00:49:40 AEST 1989

In article <685 at galen.acc.virginia.edu>, mlj8e at dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Michael L. Johnson) writes:
> In article <643 at odin.SGI.COM> kipp at warp.sgi.com (Kipp Hickman) writes:
> >
> >The Extent File System is SGI's high performance filesystem running under
> >system V.
> >					kipp hickman
> >					silicon graphics inc.
>  Actually, didn't the extent file system come from SUN?
>

> (804)-924-8607                   Michael L. Johnson
> mlj8e at virginia.EDU               Pharmacology Dept.
> uunet!virginia!mlj8e             Box 448; Univ. of Va.
> mlj8e at virginia.BITNET            Charlottesville, Va. 22908

Aw, c'mon, don't insult us.  Sun hasn't invented a production filesystem
that I know of at anytime - they use the fairly standard BSD FFS code.
Mr. Hickman actually invented and wrote the code for the Extent File
System himself - I'm sure he would resent the slur.

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb