DOG: diff for point-to-point communication

Scott J Mark sjm at cs.purdue.EDU
Wed Sep 20 02:42:27 AEST 1989

In article <1989Sep19.151924.20792 at lth.se> dag at Control.LTH.Se (Dag Bruck) writes:

>Here is a context diff to convert at least one version of SGI `dog'
>to use a point-to-point channel instead of broadcast messages.

	Just last night we got our version of dog to fake a multicast to
each machine that is playing.  If there's enough interest in it, I'll try
to post a how-to.  You'll have to have source code to do this.  The reason
I don't post a straight diff is that, from my understanding, there are
more-recent versions of the source than the 2.3 version I got from SGI
last month.  That is, more-recent for those who aren't on PI machines.

	Currently, we keep a list of the connected machines, and then
send a point-to-point to each machine.  It doesn't seem to slow our game
down at all, and I've, uh, "boosted" the packet size to allow multiple
teams and multiple missiles.  So if your network isn't saturated this
may be a solution to the broadcast/interrupt problem.

	I haven't yet had time to add "defect" code, to stop sending
packets to machines where people have stopped playing.  So far throwing
packets at the ethernet hasn't been a problem.

							Scott Mark

	PLEASE use E-Mail to express interest.
sjm at cs.purdue.edu