vi and huge temp files

Jeff Doughty jeffd at norge.sgi.com
Sat Sep 30 00:45:58 AEST 1989

> Well, we have /tmp on a separate partition (the root partition) with normally
> about 8.5 MB of free space.  But the downside of this is that I can not vi
> a one-megabyte ascii file!  The temp file would be about 9 MB, I think!

> Does anyone know why vi creates such monster temp files?  Can't this be
> fixed (by someone who has source)?

This was a bug accidentally introduced in the 3.1 version.  The 3.2 release
(which should be available now) has a fixed version.

A workaround is to create a .exrc in your home directory with the line:

set directory=/usr/tmp

This will cause vi to use /usr/tmp (or any other place with space) for its
temp files.

					Jeff Doughty
					UNIX group