Problem with long shell paths

Phil Dykstra phil at BRL.MIL
Fri Sep 1 06:00:10 AEST 1989

Hi,

We were having problems on the 4D's selecting a login shell with
a long pathname.  E.g. /usr/brl/bin/tcsh, or /usr/brl/bin/tbsh,
when used as a login shell out of /etc/passwd would cause some
PostScript garbage to be displayed in the console window.  All
new windows (shells) would immediately exist.

I found that copying these shells to /bin fixed this problem.
Perhaps there is something in the 4Sight startup proceedure that
is overrunning a $SHELL path buffer??  I know this problem exists
in at least 3.1C and 3.1G.

- Phil