Mandelbrot set with neighborhood approximation

Nils Davis nils at es37.UUCP
Mon Sep 4 15:09:53 AEST 1989

In one of the Iris magazines a few months back there was an article
about a fast algorithm for approximating Mandelbrot sets. It used a
function that determined how far a given point was to the Mandelbrot
set, then eliminated a circle that size, around that point, from its
calculations.

If any of you have figured out what I'm talking about, can you send me
either the source for this program or a description of the algorithm?
Thanks in advance -- please mail directly to me, as I don't read this
group normally. I will post to the net if I anyone asks (or whoever responds
to this can post to the net, as long as you mail to me also :-)  ).

Nils Davis
Evans & Sutherland Computer Division
...decwrl!escd!nils
415/969-9300

	"Does anyone have an alibi for Tuesday night? I don't, of course."

	"No you don't, to put it gently. Being at the scene of a crime
at the moment of its commission is not normally considered an alibi..."

Double Negative by David Carkeet