Hi, I would like to time a benchmarking FORTRAN program.

Calvin H. Vu calvin at dinkum.wpd.sgi.com
Fri Sep 22 07:28:11 AEST 1989

In article <8909211423.AA06605 at prism.gatech.edu>, ccsupos%prism at GATECH.EDU ("SCHREIBER, O. A.") writes:
> I would like to time a FORTRAN program.
> Would anybody tell me how to do it on an
> IRIS4D120GTX and IRIS4D50GT.
> I have tried call time(t) without luck.
> Thanks in advance.

	If you don't need better resolution than seconds, you can use time().
	The way to use it is:

	integer t1, t2, time
	external time
	t1 = time()
	......................... do something here
	t2 = time() - t1	! t2 should be the elapsed time

	The reason for the EXTERNAL statement is that there are two versions
	of time(): an intrinsic VMS-compatible version, and a library version.
	Using time() without the EXTERNAL statement will default to the
	intrinsic version and give you an error message if you don't provide
	an argument.  This is documented in the 3.1 release notes.

	If you want microsecond resolution you will have to use C and call
	gettimeofday().   You can look up in the manual to find out how to
	call a C subroutine from Fortran.

> Olivier Schreiber (404)894 6147, Office of Computing Services
> Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
> uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ccsupos
> ARPA: ccsupos at prism.gatech.edu

Hope it helps,

Calvin Vu
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems