Stereo viewing techniques

Thant Tessman thant at horus.sgi.com
Sat Sep 9 01:07:56 AEST 1989

In article <8909071236.AA15114 at snow-white.merit-tech.com>, goss at SNOW-WHITE.MERIT-TECH.COM (Mike Goss) writes:
> Regarding the continuing discussion of active vs. passive stereo viewing
> techniques, there is another point which is relevant to the choice of
> system.  It is sometimes necessary for the user of a stereo system to
> view other, non-stereo video monitors in addition to a stereo display.
> With active glasses, it is necessary to remove the glasses to view other
> video sources;  the glasses cause severe flicker otherwise.

StereoView (CrystalEyes) have a button on the side that turns them clear,
so not only is there no flicker, but there is very little light being cut
out, just like wearing clear glasses.  This is even better than passive
glasses which always cut out at least half the light.

> Also, if multiple stereo monitors are in use, active glasses require that
> all video monitors have synchronized refresh cycles in order to be viewed
> simultaneously; passive glasses do not have this requirement.

You are right about viewing them simultaneously, but the StereoView
glasses sync to the monitor you are facing, so it is possible to look
back and forth between more than one monitor and always be synced to the
one you are looking at.

thant