Disappearing debug

Tom Stockfisch tps at chem.ucsd.edu
Fri Sep 29 19:46:05 AEST 1989

In article <28319 at abbott.mips.COM> rogerk at mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:
#In article <89Sep19.181545edt.57392 at ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> LEONARDZ at UOGUELPH.BITNET ("Len Zaifman  UoGuelph 824-4120 xt 6566", 519) writes:
##     Our operations group was running a backup recently, which crashed.
##The system was brought up again and much to my dismay(at a later date), there
##was no /debug file system(using df to show what was there).
##In particular, how can processes run without swap space?? Are they all kept
##in memory??

#/debug (or, in RISC/os, /proc) is *NOT* your swap space.  It's a special
#type of virtual filesystem which presents a view of your running processes
#accessible through the file namespace.  If it's not mounted, you just can't
#use programs (like some debuggers and other tools) that access processes by
#opening them like files.  This has *nothing* to do with your swap space.
#ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939

But the burning question is...

If your disk is partitioned so that /debug gets, say, 53meg, does that mean
that you only have 53meg of swap space, maximum?