Iris 4D questions

Tom Haapanen tom at mims-iris.waterloo.edu
Fri Sep 8 00:31:31 AEST 1989

Two questions about booting an Iris 4D70:

    1.  Is it possible to make the machine boot automatically?  Right
	now I have to type 'auto' on the console before it starts up.
	This means I have to come in to start it up if we have a power
	failure on a weekend, for example.

    2.  When the machine boots up, it starts a NeWS session with one
	window, containing the login.  However, the 'tools' icon lets
	me create a shell, which automatically signs on as root!!!
	So anybody could get superuser access by rebooting the machine.
	Is there a way to make the system not generate a NeWS session?
	We're running 3.1G ...

And one more:

    3.  Did anyone get the recent GIF viewer working on a 4D70?  It
	compiled, and igif creates a window, but then says:
	    ERROR #91 : <lrectwrite> is not implemented.
	What does this mean?  Who didn't implement it?

Thanks in advance!

					\tom haapanen
"now, you didn't really expect          tom at mims-iris.waterloo.edu
 my views to have anything to do        watmims research group
 with my employer's, did you?"          university of waterloo

Amount taken in the average bank robbery in Canada in 1988:  $  4,000
In the average computer fraud in the same period:            $ 42,000
			-Report on Business Magazine, Sept/89