limiting resources

Patrick Wolfe pwolfe at kailand.kai.com
Sat Sep 30 00:58:35 AEST 1989

> Written by tom at watale.UUCP
>
> Well, we have /tmp on a separate partition (the root partition) with normally
> about 8.5 MB of free space.

When setting up our systems (both System V and BSD), I replace /tmp with a
symbolic link to /usr/tmp, which has lots more free space than the root
partition does.  Many programs (both user and system alike) like to temporarily
store huge files in /tmp.

On the SGI systems, I also had to edit /etc/init.d/RMTMPFILES to change "mkdir
/tmp" with "ln -s /usr/tmp /tmp", or my change would be undone at the next
boot.  This does not cause any problems with normal operations (nothing uses
/tmp before /usr gets mounted).

--

        Patrick Wolfe   (pat at kai.com, kailand!pat)
        System Manager, Kuck & Associates, Inc.