Seek used IRIS

Tony Facca fsfacca at LERC08.LERC.NASA.GOV
Tue Sep 12 05:57:11 AEST 1989

From: Shaul Peleg <netcom!peleg at apple.com>  writes:

> Hello there. I attended SigGraph this summer and noticed on the billboard
> that an IRIS was being sold for $2000. At the time, I should of jumped at the
> opportunity but I didn't have the money. Right now I am in a position with
> some money and an Amiga to sell. So, is anyone selling an IRIS for a really
> low price? I don't care for any special model as long as there is a monitor
> and system software. Secondly, can anyone tell me if it is worth it even
> though I am only doind it for learning purposes. By this I mean, does SGI
> still support the old machines... is there a C compiler for them.. etc.

I saw that memo on the billboard, too.  Did you notice that the machine was
a 2500 Turbo with 2meg of memory?  The 2500T is refrigerator-sized machine
and 2M isn't enough memory to do any real work.  However, for $2K it seemed
like a real good deal especially if you are just using it for learning.
You would probably have to pay another $2K(?) to have the machine moved
to your facility I imagine.

We have a 2500T at the lab and yes, SGI still supports it (as far as main-
tenance).  Actually, they are supporting it all the time :-)

They run all the software that the 3000 series stuff runs, including C,
Fortran, Pascal, Emacs, etc.   You'd probably want to upgrade the memory
a bit.  We got away with 4M for a while in the "old days".

Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca at lerc08.lerc.nasa.gov