appending to tape archives

Nicholas Tarnoff tarnoff at cme.nist.gov
Wed Apr 11 23:28:43 AEST 1990

I tried to email this message but it bounced.
421 Host cutmcvax.oz not found for mailer ether.
550 <architec at cutmcvax.oz>... Host unknown

I do incremental backups automatically from cron.
You should:

mt rewind
mt feom     #Forward space to end of recorded data.
            #This allows adding new partitions to
            #already partially written tape.

bru -c -vf /dev/nrtape -s <###M such as 150M>

I also use  -BR and -n options. See the man page for bru.

Good luck.
-Nicholas
NAME:  Nicholas Tarnoff (Robot Systems Division)
USMAIL:National Institute of Standards and Technology (formerly NBS)
       Bldg. 220 / Rm B127     Gaithersburg, MD 20899
TELE:   (301) 975-3464          ARPA:   tarnoff at cme.nist.gov
FAX:    (301) 990-9688          UUCP:   uunet!cme-durer!tarnoff