. in $path

shaginaw at NEUMANN.SQUIBB.COM shaginaw at NEUMANN.SQUIBB.COM
Fri Apr 13 01:32:03 AEST 1990

Richard replied directly to me when (I believe) he wanted to reply to the
list...
     Our SGI machines are running IRIX 3.2.  We see the same problem
reported by Claude Cantin.  All system cshrc files have no '.'
specified in the path.  Nevertheless, machines loaded with 3.2 shipped
before late February have '.' in their $path (where does it come from?)
while 3.2 shipped since late February must have '.' added by the user.

     I'd like to know:

(1) Why leaving out '.' closes a security breach that couldn't be closed
    another way.

(2) Where do earlier versions of 3.2 set a path WITH '.'; it's NOT in
    a system cshrc file.

SGI couldn't help with these when I called it in.

                                                           -- Rich
  Squibb Institute for Medical Research   --   Bristol-Myers Squibb Company

          Richard J. Shaginaw           Internet Address: shaginaw at squibb.com
       Principal Systems Engineer              Telephone: 609-921-5184
   Macromolecular Modeling Department                FAX: 609-683-6607