how to attach a modem for dial-in/out

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com
Sat Aug 4 09:49:41 AEST 1990

In article <1565 at sumax.UUCP>, cadwell at sumax.UUCP (James A. Cadwell) writes:
> hello:
> 	I have a Telebit T2500 which I would like to connect to
> my PI running IRIX 3.2.1. The "guides" explain the setup for either
> dial-out OR dial-in use. I desire to do both at 19200 or 96000 baud.

uugetty has been in use on sgi.sgi.com for years and sounds like what is
needed.  It is used within Silicon Graphics on various machines for SLIP
and dial-up lines.

The script "/usr/lib/uucp/fix-telebit" might be useful, given args like
`fix-telebit -io d2` to poke at a T2500 on /dev/ttyd2.  You can adjust the
script to set the T2500 (or TB+ or T1[05]00) to your notion of correctness.

You will need a cable with pins 2,3,4,5,7,8, and 9/20 connected, as
described in one of the manuals.  (Sorry, I can never find it, although
I've seen and helped edit the text and tables many times.)

Uugetty should be told to use /dev/ttyf* in /etc/inittab, which means you
will need to turn off the *getty in /etc/inittab when running fix-telebit.
Lines in /usr/lib/uucp/Systems should use entries that ultimately connect
to /dev/ttyf*.

You will need to adjust /usr/lib/uucp/Devices appropriatedly.  There are
some examples in the 3.3 version.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs at sgi.com