StereoView raster sizes

Steve Dempsey sdempsey at UCSD.EDU
Wed Aug 15 06:19:51 AEST 1990

     >Date: 13 Aug 90 19:20:55 GMT
     >From: Thant Tessman <sgi!shinobu!odin!horus.esd.sgi.com!thant at ucbvax.berkeley.edu>
     >Subject: Re: StereoView raster sizes

[ stuff deleted]

     >I assume it is because you have a Mitsubishi Diamondscan multisync
     >monitor.  This monitor is a little too smart.  When the stereo stuff

Yes, we have the Mitsubishi monitor, and what a great monitor it is!
I made the mistake of daisy chaining a Hitachi (from a 4D/25) to it so that I
could compare them side by side, and now people here complain about how
'fuzzy' the Hitachi looks.

[ stuff deleted]
     >In other words, it stretches the 492 stereo scanlines to
     >fit into the same place that 1024 scanlines fit in non-stereo
     >mode.  This makes the pixels higher by 2.08 instead of 2, or
     >stretched vertically by about 4%.  This means that if you want
     >to compensate for it in a window that is 1280 by 492, the aspect
     >ratio should be 1280 to 1024, or 1.25.

I seem to have the opposite problem.  Rather than stretch the 492 stereo
scan lines to match 1024 regular scan lines, or even 984 scan lines,
my monitor matches them to about 928!  So now I wonder if I have a
hardware or software problem with my monitor?  I guess it's time to make
use of the maintenance contract and let the Hotline figure it out!