fun things mapped into user space

Kevin Lahey kml at mosquito.cis.ufl.edu
Wed Dec 12 12:04:09 AEST 1990

I noticed, while perusing various bits of /usr/include/sys on our SGI IRIS,
running IRIX 3.3.1, that there are some interesting things mapped into the
user space.  For instance, at 0x00200000, there is a little structure with
my pid, and info set up for shared group scheduling.

IRIX is a System V derivative, with many enhancements (I suppose I'll be
corrected if I'm mistaken :-)).   Is this a normal thing to find?  Are there
all sorts of interesting things just floating around out there, waiting
for me to find 'em?  How about under BSD?  SunOS?  How do I find 'em?
A quick look through Bach and the 4.3 book doesn't seem to turn up anything,
other than the fact that the u-area is mapped in...

Thanks,
Kevin
kml at mosquito.cis.ufl.edu

"I won't expose you to the horrors of our `Three Stooges' ward."