need help with ORACLE V6.0.27.7.1 on silicon graphics,rollback segs

Kurt Bittner kbittner at oracle.uucp
Mon Dec 3 14:29:35 AEST 1990

In article <11762 at spool.cs.wisc.edu> beverly at ai.cs.wisc.edu (Beverly Seavey) writes:
>I am trying to add a tablespace to our database ( we have been getting
>by with just SYSTEM up until now.)
>
>I was able to create a tablespace using the stamt:
>
>	 CREATE TABLESPACE TS_DAT_2
>	 DATAFILE 'TS_FILE_2.DAT' SIZE 10M;
>
>Then, because my understanding is that I need a non-system rollback
>segment for a non-system tablespace, I tried to create a rollback
>segment for my new tablespace:
>
>	 CREATE ROLLBACK SEGMENT RBS_DAT_2
>	 TABLESPACE TS_DAT_2;
>
>ORACLE gives me the following error msg:
>
> ORA-01552
>   cannot use system rollback segment for non-system tables.
>
> The SQL Error msgs manual advises : Create one or more private or
> public rollback segments, shut down, then start up again. You may need to
> modify the INIT.ORA parameter ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS_REQUIRED to acquire one
> of the  new private rollback segments.
>
> This all seems circular: how can I create a rollback segment if oracle
> won't let me? The only INIT.ORA parameter that looked remotely
> relevant is DC_TABLESPACES, which has a default value of 25.
>
> I am using ORACLE  RDBMS V6.0.27.7.1

Create a rollback segment in the system tablespace (I usually do PUBLIC ones,
but that's somewhat a matter of preference).  Shut down the DB to make sure that
the rollback segment is used, then you'll be fine.

Kurt Bittner
Consultant - Oracle Chicago
kbittner at oracle.com

"My opinions are purely my own and do not reflect those of Oracle Corporation."