Where does TERM get set for Telnet logins.(Solution!)

Russell J Fulton;ccc032u russell at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz
Thu Dec 20 09:52:09 AEST 1990

brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>In article <1990Dec18.041334.7498 at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz> russell at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) writes:
>> The moral of the story would appear to be Don't restart inetd from a terminal
>> unless it is absolutely unavoidable. This probably applies to other daemons
>> as well.

>No. The moral is that you should properly set up the environment of
>daemons you start.

>---Dan

OK, I add the proviso: "Unless you know exactly what you are doing."

In a lot of cases now Unix systems are being administered by people who
do not have an encyclopedic knowledge of Unix. We have only had our system
for a year and are still finding out the finer points of its management.

Cheers, Russell.

--
Russell Fulton, Computer Center, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
<rj_fulton at aukuni.ac.nz>