Multiple archives on one tape

Scott Henry scotth at corp.sgi.com
Tue Dec 4 20:01:50 AEST 1990

I have been successfuly putting multiple archives on one 8mm (Exabyte)
tape for several months. I have been using it to do (3x/week) backups of
the machines in my group. The following is extracted from the scripts that
I run to do my backups. It has been working without fail since June with
all the releases and alphas I've run of 3.3, 3.3.1 and 3.3.2.

mt -t $tapedevice feom
(versions -cm ; find ${where} ! -type d -mount -depth -print) |\
	tar -cbf 128k $tapedevice -

where $tapedevice is the approriate no-rewind tape device on either the
local or remote system, and $where expands to a list of directories to
backup.

 -- scott
--
 Scott Henry <scotth at sgi.com> / Traveller on Dragon Wings
 Information Services,       / Help! My disclaimer is missing!