Display Postscript (Re: Irix 4.0 Statement of Direction)

Scott R. Presnell srp at babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Thu Dec 20 03:48:03 AEST 1990

karlton at sgi.com (Phil Karlton) writes:

[... all sorts of nifty stuff deleted ...]

>    Other things will be happening, and I don't know the content. The
>    major purpose of the original announcement was to give early warning
>    that a currently supported feature is being withdrawn with IRIX 4.0,
>    i.e., there will be no NeWS window manager. (Don't forget that
>    PostScript rendering will be supported through the DPS X extension.)

Does this mean that DPS service will be some sort of X client, or will DPS
be built into the X server, or something else all together?

I'm really sorry to see NeWS fall by the wayside: indeed it surprises me
that noone else has said as much.  From what I have experienced, NeWS seems
technologically superior to X.  But as is painfully evident, X has become
something of the industry standard.

I appreciate the openess and detail with which SGI is letting us know what
direction they are taking.

>PK

	"They shoot window servers, don't they"

	- Scott Presnell

--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp at cgl.ucsf.edu
University of California			UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!srp
San Francisco, CA. 94143-0446			Bitnet: srp at ucsfcgl.bitnet