input and 4.0

Marc Andreessen andreess at mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 23 07:50:39 AEST 1990

In article <9012221606.AA16974 at frodo.Physics.McGill.CA> loki at physics.mcgill.ca (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) writes:
>>> From: tom rohling <wuarchive!sdd.hp.com!spool2.mu.edu!news.cs.indiana.edu!uceng!trohling at eddie.mit.edu>
>>> mouse to change which window I'm typing in,  where my experience with
>>> Motif has (on the RS6000's) been that you have to pop that window before
>>> you can type in it.  I find that very annoying and I hope that feature of
>
>things.  Starting with me, I *don't* like the IBM's windows.

This is hooey.  X Windows and Motif are both very customizable on any
platform.  If you put the following 3 lines in your personal '.Xdefaults'
file, you get SGI-like behavior (pointer focus, interactive placement,
etc.) -

Mwm*keyboardFocusPolicy:      	pointer
Mwm*focusAutoRaise:		False
Mwm*interactivePlacement:       True

(The focusAutoRaise prevents a window from being raised when it
gains focus - ie when you move the pointer into it.  Clicking on the
window still raises it.)

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen___University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory
__________________andreessen at uimrl7.mrl.uiuc.edu______________________