Questions bru-ing in my mind

dixons%phvax.dnet at SMITHKLINE.COM dixons%phvax.dnet at SMITHKLINE.COM
Sat Dec 29 06:12:20 AEST 1990

Peter-
With regard to your desire for an incremental backup strategy that takes
care of the problem of deleted files returning when an series of incremental
backups are retrieved:  GNU tar does exactly what you suggest.  That is,
in incremental save mode, it saves a copy of each directory as it goes.
Then upon restores, it can put the directories back by deleting files which
should no longer be there. Someone posted some mods to get GNU tar working
on Irises a while back.  I have been using it for a year or so without
problems because I wanted the incremental capability.
Scott Dixon (dixons at smithkline.com)