Remote printing IRIX 3.3.1

Peter S. Shenkin shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Fri Dec 14 02:07:15 AEST 1990

In article <9012110417.aa06748 at VGR.BRL.MIL> FL17 at DLRVMBS.BITNET writes:

>Remote printing works nicely via the lp account with no password.
>However, anyone can log in as user "lp" with no password on our machines.
>Does anyone have a method to inhibit interactive logins as user "lp"
>while maintaining the remote printing feature ?

Wait a second -- there's something I don't understand.  Ordinarily the
lp account is set up without a default login shell.  I guess I had assumed
that this would inhibit interactive use of the machine by a person trying
to login as "lp".  On a regular user account, a login shell is specified.
So could someone tell me what does happen if someone does try to login as
lp? Or as uucp, for that matter...

	-P.
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin at cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***