sendmail.cf rewrite errors

Charles S. Fuller csfst1 at unix.cis.pitt.edu
Sat Dec 29 01:18:51 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec27.061027.20702 at sgitokyo.nsg.sgi.com>, kandall at sgitokyo.nsg.sgi.com (Michael Kandall) writes:

> Out-going mail seems to work fine.  In-coming domain-addressed
> mail generates the following errors to SYSLOG:
>
> 	Dec 27 02:24:12 sgitokyo sendmail[19465]: AA19465:
> 		SYSERR: rewrite: expansion too long
> 	Dec 27 02:24:12 sgitokyo sendmail[19465]: Unparseable user
> 		nuucp wants to be a.b.c.d!senders_name
>
> Mail is sent to the postmaster (me) with the following header errors
> enclosed.
>
>        ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>     554 rewrite: expansion too long

A little while ago, there was some discussion on the net about a bug in
sendmail.cf that resulted in infinite recursion in address parsing
("expansion too long").  Here's an excerpt from the article:

In article <9010260415.aa21334 at VGR.BRL.MIL> FL17 at DLRVMBS.BITNET (Ralf
Beyer) wrote:

+ regarding the IRIX 3.3.1 sendmail.cf problem not being able to send
+ mail to any other host ("rewrite: expansion too long") there is a bug
+ in the sendmail.cf file (infinite recursion in address parsing). The line
+
+ #to unknown host or domain--if we are not a forwarder, send to the forwarder
+ R$~F!$-!$*<@$+>$*		$@$>29<@$F>:$3@$4$5
+
+ should read
+
+ #to unknown host or domain--if we are not a forwarder, send to the forwarder
+
+ with the "$>29" removed. After this correction all our current mail troubles
+ are gone.

Hope this helps.  Indeed, it did solve similar problems for me.

Chuck Fuller