uucp traceroute

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com
Mon Dec 10 09:21:13 AEST 1990

In article <9012072051.AA14023 at karron.med.nyu.edu>, Dan Karron at UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU writes:

> Is there something to query uucp paths ? I have seen something on the
> net to test uucp paths and return paths for various machines. I know
> uucp is a mess, but that is all the more reason to have a tool to
> find your way around the uucp jungle.

There are two main tools for this.  First is maintaining your own set of
UUCP maps with pathalias and applying uupath to the resulting database.
Perhaps comp.mail.uucp would be an effective place to ask about source and
information about them.

The second tool is to send yourself a mail message, and to examine the
resulting headers.  `mail foo!bar!whatever!nosuchuser` is often effective.
Using a sendmail return receipt requeste is also often effective.  `mail
foo!bar!whatever!bar!foo!myself` often fails to give interesting
information because of "rabid rerouters" in the path.

All of this is regularly discussed in comp.mail.*.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs at sgi.com