input and 4.0

David R. Blythe drb at eecg.toronto.edu
Fri Dec 28 17:47:24 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec22.205039.24380 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> andreess at mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) writes:

>>things.  Starting with me, I *don't* like the IBM's windows.
>>

>This is hooey.  X Windows and Motif are both very customizable on any
>platform.  If you put the following 3 lines in your personal '.Xdefaults'
>file, you get SGI-like behavior (pointer focus, interactive placement,
>etc.) -

Hardly hooey.  Its the default behaviour supplied with the IBM system, and thus
the behaviour anyone who unpacks such a system is exposed to.
SGI will have the option of supplying a default behaviour with their X
implementation that closely matches the behaviour of the current 4Sight system.
Hopefully they will adopt this strategy and not force everyone to pour through
their manuals to get the same behaviour they have become accustomed to
for the last n years.  Tunability and judicious choice of distributed defaults
are separate issues.