diskless clients hanging

Mike Gigante mg at
Wed Dec 5 07:35:42 AEST 1990

Yep. We have the same problem, less frequent, but still problems, problems,
problems.

We get daemons dying off with "interupted system calls" (perror 5)
apparently a failed page request off the server - I don't know why.

Of course, SGI (in the release notes) advised not to install 3.3.1 for
diskless. Our helpful (true -- not cynical) SEs tell me that we should
expect a maintanence release soon that will fix the diskless problems.

On the diskless issue, we have to damn turn *off* the -s option to
tftpd in order to boot a diskless machine - exposing a security hole.

So the whole diskless question is made worse by having to fiddle with
inetd before and after diskless booting..

I wont even mention what I think of the clinst procedures after our
*troublesome* 3.3 upgrades from 3.2.2
(hopefully our SEs have passed back the extensive traumas we went through)

Also, until 3.3, I have also been quite dissappointed by diskless
performance (we have had them for about 15 months now)

The moral: we are buying 200Mb system disks this week to finally
solve the problem.

Mike Gigante
RMIT Australia