nice

Brent Thomas Corkum corkum at csri.toronto.edu
Fri Dec 14 07:35:30 AEST 1990

A short question regarding the nice command. Does it work? What I notice
is that the priority of a job submitted using nice, the priority based
on what ps -el shows me, does not differ if I use nice. I tried all
sorts of increment numbers (see man nice). I also couldn't use negative
increment numbers if I was super user, I just get an error. I also take
it that the larger the increment the lower the priority. What is the default
increment for nice, and what are the default priorities without nice?

Brent Corkum
corkum at boulder.civ.toronto.edu