Where does TERM get set for Telnet logins.(Solution!)

Barry Margolin barmar at think.com
Tue Dec 18 18:40:44 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec18.041334.7498 at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz> russell at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) writes:
>Dave was able to supply the crucial information that telnetd does not set
>TERM if negotiations with the client fail to produce a terminal type.
>From this I concluded that TERM must be already set for the telnetd process.

The 4.3bsd telnetd doesn't have this problem.  If it is unable to negotiate
the terminal type, it doesn't supply the "-p" (preserve environment) option
to /bin/login.  And when it does negotiate the terminal type, it sets the
environment that is inherited by /bin/login to only contain the TERM
variable.

I suggest you ask your vendor to adopt this strategy.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar at think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar