3.2 bug from H E double Toothpick

Tad Guy tadguy at cs.odu.edu
Thu Feb 22 12:27:38 AEST 1990

In article <4292 at helios.TAMU.EDU> genetti at photon.tamu.edu (Jon Genetti) writes:
> We had the same problems with some of our folders.  It seems if you have
> the world does not have read access to a folder, then the workspace
> is not able to read it.  Open a folder that the contents disappear
> and then change the protection on that directory from a shell and
> the files in that directory will appear in that window.

This is exactly what I discovered today.  In a letter in response to a
correct answer via email from SGI:

| This was the correct answer, thanks.
|
| I don't know if I mentioned it in my posting, but the machine is
| someone else's, so I don't often get a chance to experiment with it.
| However, today the machine's owner was away and at the same time a
| person from the local SGI office was around, so we looked at the
| problem and on a whim I tried changing the directory permissions and
| the files quickly returned to the window.  He's reported it back to
| the office...
|
| Thanks again...

> p.s. folks at sgi - is this a bug or a feature?

I consider it a bug, or at least an unfortunate design decision -- the
problem (as gleaned from another posting) appears to be that the
directory reading process is uid 0 (instead of having my permissions),
which isn't trusted over NFS...  The work around of making my
directories world readbable clearly isn't the right solution... :-)

	...tad