Sendmail version and vulnerability

Thomas Russo russo at chaos.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 2 02:26:32 AEST 1990

What version number of sendmail does SGI ship with its 4D systems and
if it is not the latest version (which I believe is 5.6something)  are
there any plans to ship the latest version with the next release?
Near as I can tell, SGIs sendmail is version 5.52.  Is this correct?

I have recently read in comp.security.announce that the latest version
might have fixed some holes.  It might be nice to see the new version
from SGI.

On top of that, we occasionally (say, every 3 or 4 months) get into
a state where our sendmail starts spewing forth many many children
until the process table fills up.  Many moons ago I posted to our
local network ops bboard and they told me "try porting sendmail 5.6?
to your system.  We had that happen with some old versions."  I tried
to do the port, but it stepped on too many bsdisms.  Today I had 60
sendmails running, so I post again:  Has anyone else ever found there
sendmail forking too many children?  If so, have you identified the source?
Have you found a cure?

Answers to any subset of the questions in the above post would be
greatly appreciated.

Thomas Russo
Center for Nonlinear Dynamics, University of Texas at Austin
russo at chaos.utexas.edu or phib421 at utchpc.bitnet
------