Intermittent Login Problems

Andrew Myers andru at rhialto.sgi.com
Wed Feb 28 15:02:47 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb27.171242.7976 at hellgate.utah.edu> brian at cs.utah.edu (Brian Sturgill) writes:
>>  We have a Iris 4D running 3.2.1 with:
>>  prompt.   The behavior seems random.   The only unusual message that I could
>>  find in SYSLOG was:
>>
>>  Feb 21 14:41:22 panda grcond[10521]: In limbo
>>  Feb 21 14:42:07 panda grcond[10521]: Tried and failed 3 times to download
>>  graphics subsystem
>>
>Often just before the limbo message we get:
>
>	... grcond[5015]: Child process /etc/gl/pandora exited with status 0

    This message is perfectly normal, as is the limbo message.

    If your system starts failing to download microcode, I think you can
    get around it by logging in NOGRAPHICS, then logging out. This should
    reset the graphics more thoroughly than pandora can. I'm not sure how
    the state of the graphics gets corrupted in this way.

Andrew