PI Problems

George Hartzell hartzell at boulder.Colorado.EDU
Tue Feb 27 15:04:38 AEST 1990

In article <51830 at sgi.sgi.com>, brendan at illyria (Brendan Eich) writes:
>It seems xterm doesn't start a login shell (one with an initial "-" in
>its argv[0] basename).  Only a login C-shell reads /etc/cshrc and .login,
>similarly for sh and /etc/profile & .profile.  I don't know much about X;
>perhaps there's an xterm option for logging in (creating a login shell,
>updating /etc/utmp).

>From the xterm man page on my MIPS:
          -ls     This option indicates that the shell that is started
                  in the xterm window be a login shell (i.e. the first
                  character of argv[0] will be a dash, indicating to
                  the shell that it should read the user's .login or
                  .profile).

g.
George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
 MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
hartzell at Boulder.Colorado.EDU  ..!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!hartzell