sendmail.cf

Bob Funchess S090726 at UMRVMA.UMR.EDU
Mon Feb 26 14:23:16 AEST 1990

All right, I give up.   What is the sendmail.cf file supposed to look like?
The SG supplied one (yes, I reloaded from tape) won't build the aliases
(also the one supplied).  This disturbs me somehow.  Our situation is:

1 Silicon Graphics Personal Iris 4D/20, on Ethernet, name
  blumiris.chem.umr.edu.  It does NOT have modems.  All I want is for
  it to send outgoing mail to an SMTP forwarder (in this case,
  umrvmb.umr.edu) to be passed along, and for it to receive incoming
  mail for <user>@blumiris.chem.umr.edu.  I don't need anything fancy like
  forwarding to UUCP sites, etc.

By editing the GA Tech sendmail.cf file from comp.sources.unix, I have managed
to get OUTGOING mail working.  INCOMING mail gets to the machine and bounces
with
      setsender:  can't even parse postmaster!

which gets prepended to the message and zapped back to the original sender.

Yes, the local user does exist (root).
The mail is obviously getting to the Iris, since that is noted in the bounced
message.
The only thing that I know of that is weird in the .cf file is the fact that
I want forwarding to be handled at a level which is technically one up from
ours (.umr.edu instead of .chem.umr.edu).  Our domain is defined as umr.edu,
and the machine is defined as blumiris.chem.  Is this the source of the
problem?  If so, how can I work around it?

                             < Bob | S090726 at UMRVMA.UMR.EDU | Funchess >
                                    University of Missouri - Rolla
Disclaimer:  If the university shared my opinions,
             would I have an ID like S090726 ???