Power for Power Series

ams at ACM.PRINCETON.EDU ams at ACM.PRINCETON.EDU
Thu Feb 8 09:08:03 AEST 1990

Ok guys, which is it?  Mark Bradly writes:

>	The plug is a NEMA 5-15.  The wiring of the power distribution box
>	expects 110 on each of the hot and `neutral'.  So it should look like
>	this:
>
>	                  110VAC--- |   | ---110VAC
>
>	                              O ---GND
>
>	                                                in the USA, with the
>	110's 180 degrees out of phase.  220VAC single phase is what they have in
>	Europe.  We ship a different plug to Europe, too.

On page 1-1, under "Site Electrical Requirements":

ALL POWER CENTER MODELS REQUIRE A DEDICATED 220 Volt single phase 30 amp
power line.

A dedicated line must provide 220 current in the following range:

	o	195-240 Volts of single phase AC
	o	47-63Hz

A POWER Center can draw a maximum of 24 amps from the 220 Volt line
(depending on configuration of the POWER Center).  The POWER Center
has a maximum VA of 5280.

The NEMA receptacle (for domestic installations) must have the following
characteristics:

	o	NEMA L6 - 30R (250V @ 30 amps) Twist Lock

This excerpt comes from "POWER Center Site Preparation" Version 1.0,
Document Number 007-5310-110.

--ams

p.s.  Markb--I don't think a 110vac on both sides of a three prong plug
	is a code violation.  All US 220 standards I am familiar with
	are twist lock (circular) or triangular pattern (like on the
	"average family electric clothes dryer).