3.2 quirks (reply to tom rohling)

BUG at SWAT.SWARTHMORE.EDU BUG at SWAT.SWARTHMORE.EDU
Fri Jan 12 03:15:00 AEST 1990

  First of all,   if you type "set" with no arguments,  you should see
a list of defaults for the account you are using,  one of which says
"path" and contains a list of default pathnames.  If  "." is not one of
them,  I think this means that the O.S. won't search your current directory
for commands, and that is why "command not found" is its reply.
  I am not sure whether you are using a Bourne shell (sh) or C shell (csh).
If you use the former, and look in /etc at a file called "profile",  you
will see some default settings that are established for you at login time,
in addition to the ones that are established by the ".profile" file in your
own directory.  If your shell is a C shell, the "cshrc" file in /etc is the
one you need to examine.  In "profile"  there is a cryptic message about
leaving out the "." search path to close a security hole,  and that path
just isn't there.
  To fix things,  perhaps you should try adding the path "." to either
"profile" (which would fix it for all sh users) or ".profile" (which would
fix it for you) if you are a sh user.  If you are a csh user and have this
problem, do the same to either "cshrc" in /etc directory,  or your own
".cshrc".    These are my guesses;  I am not a Unix guru,  but just a
scientist/user,  so maybe someone else will have better advice.
     Cheers,
     Amy Bug   ,  Swarthmore College   (bug at swarthmore (bitnet))
                                  correction:  bug at swarthmr (bitnet)    or
                                   bug at campus.swarthmore.edu (internet)