Multiprocessor IRIS m/cs

Thant Tessman thant at horus.esd.sgi.com
Sat Jan 13 12:04:30 AEST 1990

In article <11299 at cs.yale.edu>, kankaria-praveen at CS.Yale.EDU (Praveen
Kankaria) writes:

>   Is it true that one processor is dedicated to graphics on the
multiprocessor
>   IRIS machines ?  The speedups we got for some parallel programs on a
4 processor
>   machine suggest that.

I'm not the person to answer this, but I'll try.

There is no one processor dedicated to graphics.  Any of them can send
graphics down the pipe.  However, only one processor *per process*
can send graphics to the pipe.  Only the original thread owns the
graphics context.  This is probably the cause of the results you are
getting.

thant