Binary representation of REAL #'s VAX vs.IRIS

Martin Serrer - Systems Manager SERRER at nrcm3.nrc.ca
Fri Jan 5 06:33:00 AEST 1990

Hello all,
  I asked this list sometime ago about moving binary files from a VAX to our
IRIS 4D50 via 4DDN and I thank you for the replies recieved.
  I have another problem now.
  These files were created on the VAX with a piece of FORTRAN code. The records
are were written as unformatted REAL*4 (F_floating) ie. four bytes arranged as
follows.

  bits   15    14                    7 6              0
        |sign|       exponent         |    fraction     |
        |          fraction                             |
  bits   31                                           16

  I need to read these data files with a C program on the IRIS. Has anyone
written such a piece of code?? How are reals stored on the IRIS??
  Any help would be appreciated.
  I found the SWAP_*  and SEX routines in the programmers reference manual and
hoped that they might be of some use but they are not documented in a
particularly useful manner.