Framemaker for PI available?

michael zyda zyda at TROUBLE.CS.NPS.NAVY.MIL
Wed Jul 11 05:21:29 AEST 1990

Framemaker 1.3 is available for the Personal IRIS. From SGI,
it is very expensive. The price is (was?) about $2700 for
one copy, compared to $500 per copy for a Sun version.
I purchased it anyway as I didn't want to have both a
Sun and PI in my office.

Framemaker Behavior: It works just like the 1.3 version on
my Sun except it seems to have a few more bugs and is much
slower. Large Encapsulated Postscript files make PI Framemaker
tilt and die. Documents in excess of about 120 pages make
PI Framemaker die. None of these problems show on my
Sun version of Framemaker.

Our department has standardized on Framemaker mainly because
of its wide availability. It is available for most all X
windows platforms, the NeXT machine, the Macintosh, the PI,
Suns etc. so it is a good choice from that perspective.
Framemaker 1.3 documents go from my IRIS to the secretary's
Sun with no conversion. Unfortunately, the department
here has upgraded to Frame 2.0, not yet available
on the IRIS so document exchange has now become
one way...

     Michael Zyda