c compilers

rbriber at POLY1.NIST.GOV rbriber at POLY1.NIST.GOV
Sat Jul 28 05:05:04 AEST 1990

I've noticed a fair amount of dicussion about possible bugs in the MIPS
c compiler (cc) recently.  We have a summer student who has brought up
the GNU c compiler (gcc) on our Iris (4D80GT running IRIX 3.2).  We
had noticed a problem with the void * decleration and the GNU compiler
seemed to handle this OK (though the code we were trying to port still
had trouble).  We have not checked the compatibility of gcc, as of now
we've only run a few small programs through it, but those have had no
problems (we tried night.c, for example).  Do people have interest out
there in trying gcc instead of cc?  If so I suppose I could post the binary
and/or source.  Anyone interested let me know.

PS.  I keep seeing references to the various IRIX 3.2 updates (3.2.1, 3.2.2
for example).  All I know is we have 3.2.   How can you tell the sub release
number?

| Adios Amoebas,      | "I've tried and I've tried and I'm still mystified,  |
|   Robert Briber     |  I can't do it anymore and I'm not satisfied."       |
|   224/B210  NIST    |                                 --Elvis              |
|   20899  USA        | rbriber at poly1.nist.gov   (Internet)                  |
|(301) 975-6775(voice)| rbriber at enh.nist.gov     (Internet)                  |
|(301) 975-2128 (fax) | rbriber at nbsenh           (Bitnet)                    |