Accounting for ftp & telnet.

Andrew Cherenson arc at thyme.wpd.sgi.com
Fri Jul 20 11:30:39 AEST 1990

In article <9007170219.AA23237 at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz> russell at CCU1.AUKUNI.AC.NZ writes:
>Does anybody have versions of ftp and telnet programs that log the destinations
>of calls? We are also interested in volumes of traffic.

If you're interested in recording ftp and telnet connections to your IRIS-4D:

    As of IRIX 3.2, records containing the source of each ftp connection can be
    logged to /usr/adm/SYSLOG.  Append the "-l" option to the ftpd entry in
    /usr/etc/inetd.conf and signal inetd using "killall 1 inetd".

    As of IRIX 3.3, records for rlogin/telnet/sethost connections can be
    logged to SYSLOG with a line containg the word "syslog" in
    /etc/config/login.options. See login(1) for details.
    rsh and tftp accesses can be logged, too -- see rshd(1M) and tftpd(1M).

If you're interested in recording ftp and telnet activity on your network,
obtain the forthcoming NetVisualyzer(tm) optional software for the IRIS-4D.