IRIX 3.3 Question

D. Christopher Dunlap dunlap at bigboote.sgi.com
Thu Jul 19 00:02:56 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul16.194008.17038 at s1.msi.umn.edu> molenda at s1.msi.umn.edu (Jason Molenda) writes:
>aihaug at AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Daniel A Haug) writes:
>
>>From article <1990Jul13.204439.19295 at portia.Stanford.EDU>, by dhinds at portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds):
>>>
>>>     I called the SGI hotline, and they told me that 3.3 was going to ship
>>> in August.  I'm confused - there seem to be quite a few people who have
>>> had it for a while, judging by the messages posted here.  [...]
>
>>This is not unusual by my experience.  We typically get our update six
>>months after everyone else [or so it seems]...
>
>We called our local rep and they had the distribution tapes at their office
>and let us borrow them to do the upgrade.  I'd say try your local office...
>Officially, I guess the upgrade won't be shipping until some time in
>August (like David Hinds said).
>
>Jason Molenda, Minnesota Supercomputer Institute
>molenda at msi.umn.edu

The concern I'd have with this is that MOST people are going to
want the 3.3 release for it's new features, and the new features
are going to be close to useless to you without documentation.

Of course, I'm a particularly interested party in this discussion,
since often times people without documentation will use the Geometry
Hotline as "live documentation", which is rather frustrating for the
staff here, all of whom are much more interested in solving problems
than doing "over the phone tutorials" (as I'm sure you all can imagine).

So please bear with us. Assuming you have a Support Contract with SGI,
you will get your distribution Real Soon Now, so hang in there a few
weeks and you'll get the whole package, docs and all.

By the way, What does everyone think so far of the "Pipeline" Technical
Support Newsletter? Please send responses to "pipeline at csd.sgi.com".
Also, the new issue is out. If you haven't got it, you should see it
in the next week.

thanks much,

chris

D. Christopher Dunlap  		Product Support Engineering
				Customer Support Division
email: dunlap at sgi.com		Silicon Graphics Computer Systems