SIGSTOP and SIGCONT rules

Scott R. Presnell srp at babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Sat Jul 28 01:35:17 AEST 1990

Hey all -

	I have been experementing with sending processes SIGSTOP
and SIGCONT from csh.  This is under IRIX 3.2 - and assuming that I (not
root) am doing the "kill"ing:

	When a process is started and backgrounded from csh, I can
basically STOP and CONT it from that csh or any other csh connection.
Fine.

	If I background the process and logout of the csh that started the
process, then the first time I send it STOP from another csh, the process
exits.

	What are the rules for sending SIGSTOP and SIGCONT to a process?
>From csh?  From a daemon that nolonger has a controlling tty?  (I'm more
interested in the daemon rules.)  How does the process group relate to this?

	Thanks.

	- Scott

--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp at cgl.ucsf.edu
University of California			UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!srp
San Francisco, CA. 94143-0446			Bitnet: srp at ucsfcgl.bitnet