yp and named

Andrew Cherenson arc at thyme.wpd.sgi.com
Tue Jul 3 04:36:08 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul2.093719.8640 at monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> ccc141j at monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (George Scott) writes:
>In article <9007020245.AA05883 at frodo.Physics.McGill.CA>, loki at physics.mcgill.ca (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) writes:
>>
>> 	This is undesirable behaviour.  How can I force rlogin to go back
>> to using the named [with YP enabled]?
>
>All you have to do is put "-i" into the file "/etc/config/ypserv.options" on
>all the machines that are YP servers.

Both master and slave servers must have "-i" in ypserv.options and they must
have a properly configured /usr/etc/resolv.conf that specifies the DNS
server address(es) and domain name. Note that the YP database is checked
before querying the name server.

In IRIX 3.3, you can bypass YP for all hostname lookups with a
"hostresorder" entry  line in /usr/etc/resolv.conf. See resolver(4)
and Ch. 8 in the new Network Communications guide for details.