Help in anonymous ftp setup needed.ex

doelz at urz.unibas.ch doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Tue Jul 31 17:55:57 AEST 1990

In article <65577 at sgi.sgi.com>, arc at thyme.wpd.sgi.com (Andrew Cherenson) writes:
> In article <1990Jul29.200517.845 at urz.unibas.ch> doelz at urz.unibas.ch writes:
>>
> The syntax for /etc/syslog.conf is tricky: a tab must separate
> the facilities list (*.debug, et al.) from the output filename.
> Also, *.debug selects debug level and above, hence don't include the
> "*.emerg; *.warning; *.err; *.notice; *.info" fields.

Thanks for the pointer. I did as requested.

>> and reports a README file in the ~/ftp directory without being asked for...
>
> The ftpd(1M) man page does mention that README will be printed if it exists
> in an anonymous or restricted account's directory.

Sorry, I overlooked this item. It's really there.

>>Is there any further help I might have missed than in man pages
>>of ftp, syslog, inetd, or elsewhere ?
>
> After changing /usr/etc/inetd.conf, did you send the SIGHUP signal to inetd
> to tell it to reread inetd.conf? Do "killall 1 inetd" as root.
> The same applies to syslogd when changing /etc/syslog.conf.

Thanks, I did that, but still - nothing happens.

Is there a way to control the action of ftpd in a way that ftpd starts
a small program which does syslog(3B) calls manually? I imagine
one could do that by changing the info in inetd.conf by stating that
another program should start before ftpd, but I hesitate doing so without
knowing that it's worth the effort.

Regards
Reinhard

PS: Thanks for the prompt reply! I really appreciate to get responses
    from SGI this way.