how to boot a file different from /unix ?

Ted Wilcox ted at vball.sgi.com
Tue Jul 31 07:42:44 AEST 1990

In <1990Jul29.201238.846 at urz.unibas.ch> doelz at urz.unibas.ch writes:

>The only thing which puzzles me is that I am getting in trouble
>with the panic messages if I accidentially did something wrong.
>The machine dies, and hangs, without RESET being active... I
>need to power off the machine in order to get the PROM prompt.
>I then load the inst, spawn a sh and rename my save file to /root/unix
>in order to be able to boot.

Ouch!

>Question: In early versions of PROM, there was a hint how to boot a
>different file than /unix on the system disk. I didn't find that info
>somewhere now in the current documentation (3.3).
>How to boot a file other than /unix ?

When you're in the prom menu (the 5 buttons) select option 5 (Enter Command
Monitor).

When you're at the ">>" prompt, tell the system to boot the file that
you have saved.  For example if you have a scsi root disk, and your
saved unix file is called unix.sav, type:

>>boot dksc(0,1,0)/unix.sav

The dksc means use a scsi device, the first 0 means controller 0,
the 1 means device 1 (the default main disk), and the last 0 means
partition 0 (SGI's default root partition).

>Merci
>Reinhard

De rien.  (I think that's right.)
                      ___
Ted.                 /x  \/|  I'd kill Flipper
ted at sgi.com          > \\  |  for a tuna sandwich.
                     \___/\|      -Flipper (The band) (Thanks Archer.)