High-Level Menu Creator for X Needed

Tim_Buxton at UM.CC.UMICH.EDU Tim_Buxton at UM.CC.UMICH.EDU
Tue Jul 3 13:09:32 AEST 1990

We need a good, high level, menu painting program
or library, and we need it for X-Windows, since
that is the direction the IRIS user interface
is headed (right?).  I know that menus have been
discussed lately, but the solutions have been of
still a low-level, programming intensive nature,
and not X rated.  We have investigated Xpressions
as listed in the Geometry Partners directory, but
would like other possibilities.   This is something
we and thousands like us would readily pay for,
third party and SGI folks.  Could you address the
following?

    1. What X menu painting packages, on the order of
      Tool Book for Windows 3, are available for SGI
      machines now?  What experiences have people had
      with them?

    2. What packages (Motif, etc.) are Soon to Come, and
       When?

    3. What are the costs for the above?

By the way, I think that WorkSpace is a very good start
toward a Really Nice user interface.  It is intuitive,
clean-looking and capable, but not very easy to set up
a user interface with yet.

Thank you for any comments you may have directed to
the net, or to me directly.

                           -Tim Buxton
                            OptiMetrics, Inc.
                  Tim_Buxton at um.cc.umich.edu