Jot jinkxes

Charles E. Towne pstowne at zargon.lerc.nasa.gov
Wed Jul 11 23:50:19 AEST 1990

In article <9007101814.AA05130 at mcirps2.med.nyu.edu> root at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU writes:

>Jot drops cr/newlines or whatever serves that purpose in some lines.
>Shell scripts will sometines conk out with odd error messages if you edit them
>with jot. I have worked around by double spacing around trouble spots.

I've been using jot under IRIX 3.2 for everything from source code, to
shell scripts, to text (like this message.)  I've seen the dropping
newlines problem also, but only under certain situations.  I'm sure it's
not a random problem (computers are deterministic, I hope :-)).  It
appears to be related to moving the cursor with the arrow keys when at
the end of lines.  Doing all cursor movement with the mouse eliminates
the problem, for me anyway.

Now, if only jot had some command-line feature for things like global
search and replace, I could quit using vi entirely.

Charlie Towne                        Email: pstowne at zargon.lerc.nasa.gov
MS 5-11                              Phone: (216) 433-5851
NASA Lewis Research Center
Cleveland, OH 44135